« Back to event listing
'Heligan By Night' - 'The Art Of Illumination'
The Lost Gardens of Heligan, Pentewan, St Austell, PL26 6EN
Date: Wednesday 12th December 2018
Heligan By Night
'The Art Of Illumination'
This December, step in to 'Heligan by Night' and experience the art of illumination as internationally renowned light artist, Ulf Pedersen, returns to reveal the night-time magic of Heligan's historic plantings
Journey through an After-Dark Lost Gardens and delight in the incredible textures, colours and atmosphere created by Pedersen’s thought provoking illuminations. New for this year Heligan debuts a selection of Pederson's unique sound and light installations in addition to last years display, to create a dazzling nocturnal immersive experience, which brings light to the landscape and encourage the viewer to: “ …transform the act of looking into a physical experience - where audiences frequently find themselves immersed in a sensational play of light and colour as the space metamorphoses into something unique and magical.” -Ulf Pedersen
Often architectural in scale, Ulf works closely with raw materials of the site, using light and colour as his essential tools, often combining these natural or architectural elements with new architectural forms he has designed.
Ulf's practice exploits both hi and lo-fi technologies and aims to highlight the poetic potential of place.
Over 15 years, Ulf has travelled internationally bringing his work to locations from Oxford Botanical Gardens to Australia, New Zealand and Hong Kong. At home, he has worked with the National Trust, producing a successful solo show at Hestercombe Gardens which examined the relationship between garden designer and architect Gertrude Jekyll and Edward Lutyens.
Pedersen says “These shows have attracted tens of thousands of visitors and given me great experience of bringing, small-scale, human experiences to large-scale artistic interventions”
Spaces are limited on the sixteen ‘Heligan by Night’ evenings and booking is essential to secure your place on Heligan’s second exploration into the light fantastic. Tickets are time-allocated to ensure that every visitor has an enjoyable and memorable experience through our illuminated gardens
Wed.12th to Sat.15th December
Wed.19th to Sat.22nd December
Thurs.27th to Sat.29th December
Wed.2nd to Sat.5th January
- First entry is at 5.30pm and then at 10-minute intervals until 7.30pm
Tickets in advance for a Time Slot:
Standard - Ages 5+ : £6.00
Under5s : Free but please book Under5s tickets as required
Essential Information :
- Wrap up warm and wear sensible sturdy footwear for your 'Heligan by Night' experience.
- You are buying timed ticket slot to start your journey around ‘Heligan by Night’ . The journey will take about 60 minutes.
- We ask all ticket holders to arrive at least 15 minutes before your allocated ticket slot.
- Ticket holders will be asked to congregate at the ticket office and only allowed entry at their allocated time slot
- Please have your tickets ready for inspection by one of the Heligan Teams
- Your illuminated journey will take you through parts of Heligan’s historic productive gardens and along pathways that are gently sloping and accessible.
- There are alternative routes for visitors with access requirements, please make sure you talk to a member of staff so that they may be able to assist you
- This is a unique evening event after the Gardens are closed for the day.
- Entry by Event Ticket only
- No Garden entrance fee applicable
- A delicious selection of hot food and drinks will be available from 5pm -8pm
- First entry is at 5.30pm and then at 10-minute intervals
- Last entry is at 7.30pm
Please note :
If you should miss your booked time slot, we will do our best to get you in at the next available time.
Upon arrival to the gardens, please speak with a member of the team. If however we cannot do this, we will advise on when we can accommodate you.
Photo credit :
Ulf Pedersen - 'Heligan By Night 2017'
You may like to contact CRBO with your access requirements before placing your order.
Enter Tickets required below to book Online
Phone CRBO on 01726 879500
Buy over-the-counter at Tourist Offices in St Ives, Penzance, Falmouth, St Mawes, Truro, St Austell, Bodmin, Looe, Liskeard & Launceston plus 'Heartlands'Pool Redruth or 'The Well House' in Fowey.
Click the Link above to Book Online Now
or Phone 01726 879500